Sunday, September 12, 2010

New Work

These images are of the three pedestal-oriented works.  I am currently working with a professional photographer to create images of these and the other five works which are composed of multiple tile bases and are wall mounted.  I am also in negotiation with the [Yingge] Museum's Education and Exhibition departments about a solo show (yea!!!!)  in 2011.  


The format for my new work is the post-card in three dimensions. A traditional tourist’s token, the post card has meaning depending on the circumstances involved; it can be treasured, dispensable, humorous or wondrous. With this as the foundation, I aim to express the interplay between my American heritage and foreign culture by playfully juxtaposing found imagery in sculptural collage.  My process for this work is unique in that I used molds for slip-casting from three different sources: myself, hand making molds; employing a professional mold-maker; and retired molds from nearby ceramic factories. After casting multiples of each object, the parts are assembled while wet, then put through multiple glaze firings to achieve depth of surface. 

No comments:

Post a Comment